Welcome to WiQO, the Women in Quantum Optics Postdoctoral Program!
To expand on their research in the interdisciplinary field of quantum science and to promote the career of excellent early stage female scientists, the Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics (MPQ) founded the Postdoc Program for Women in Quantum Optics (WiQO). In the framework of this program, research and educational activities take in the broad field of quantum and laser physics with interfaces to industry. The WiQO program supports each candidate’s development at her respective career stage and offers professional training that matches her individual career path. Please find further information at
MPQ is looking for excellent early-stage career female candidates and offers, on a yearly basis:
- A two-year postdoctoral fellowship based at the Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics
- A fixed-term employment contract according to TVöD for 2 years (public sector employment, E14) with flexible working conditions
- Advancement of your scientific excellence by leading a research project under the guidance of outstanding scientists
- Depending on the candidate’s research area, insight into and collaboration with the initiatives the MPQ is currently involved in: Attoworld, the Munich Quantum Valley, and the cluster of excellence Munich Center for Quantum Science and Technology (MCQST).
- Professional external coaching in the framework of a postdoc specific career-building program
- Participation in the Minerva FemmeNet postdoc mentoring scheme to benefit from the experience of highly qualified female scientists
- Active participation in postdoc networking events to increase your scientific visibility and to promote future interdisciplinary collaborations
- Seminars and training in the field of project management, science communication, entrepreneurship, career planning, leadership qualifications and work-life balance
- Organisation and implementation of distinguished speaker seminars
- Support in the preparation and submission of research proposals
- Childcare & reconciliation support (family office, reimbursement of childcare costs due to business travels etc)
Successful candidates will have the opportunity to take advantage of the institute’s unique expertise in the field of quantum optics and laser science, access to international networks and excellent research facilities. Applications should address one of the following scientific core areas:
- Attosecond Physics
- Laser Physics and Spectroscopy
- Nonlinear Optics
- Quantum Chemistry
- Quantum Computing
- Quantum Dynamics
- Quantum Information Theory
- Quantum Many Body Systems
- Quantum Networks
- Quantum Optics
- Quantum Sensing and Metrology
- Quantum Simulation & Quantum Computing
- Ultrafast Science for Biomedicine
Applicants should have finished their PhD no more than four years prior to the application deadline. Doctoral students who will be awarded their degrees a maximum of six months after the application deadline will also be considered eligible to apply.
To apply, please enclose a
- curriculum vitae
- copy of relevant certificates
- list of publications
- brief description of your research interests (1000 characters max.)
- description of your scientific goals for the fellowship (5000 characters max.)
- and at least two referees who can provide the application committee with letters of recommendation
Application deadline is February 15th, 2024.
The MPQ Board of Directors will select the WiQO Fellow. In a two-stage selection process, candidates who successfully passed the first stage will be invited to the MPQ Postdoc Interview Days in May 2024. Selection criteria are scientific excellence and an original research proposal. The starting date of the fellowship is flexible and should be within one year after application.
The link for submitting your application to the WiQO Postdoctoral Fellowship at the Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics can be found here.
All applications must be made through the online application system, letters of reference should be sent directly to the application office before deadline (miriam.lorenz(at)vw.mpq.mpg.de).
The MPQ considers itself as an inclusive and diversity-oriented employer and welcomes applications of all qualified female applicants independently of their ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, national origin or disabilities.
Please contact Mrs. Miriam Lorenz in case of any further questions:
Max-Planck-Institute of Quantum Optics
Hans-Kopfermann Str. 1 85748