Enabling the quantum revolution
At Munich Quantum Instruments (MQI), we are developing scalable, state-of-the-art quantum sensors based on superconductors that measure single particles of light (photons) with a high Quantum Efficiency > 90% and a timing precision down to the ps-scale. Our technology paves the way for revolutionary applications based on the fundamentals of quantum physics. They can be used for quantum key distribution (QKD), deep-space optical communication (DSOC), optical quantum computing, and many other applications. We aim to be at the forefront by further improving our technology according to the needs of tomorrow’s quantum applications already today!
Operating detectors at cryogenic temperatures impose substantial requirements on the electrical & hardware components utilized. Your extensive expertise in cryostat operation will play a pivotal role in shaping the future of MQI products and projects. You will take on responsibilities within a growing team. Your work will be focused on:
- Designing and integrating electrical and mechanical components within our cryostats
- Be in close contact with other departments like electronics
- Expanding available detector channels
- Support with electro-optical measurements at cryogenic temperatures for development and quality control
- Working on customer projects, including on-site work
Thus, with us, you will get experience in operating a setup at cryogenic temperatures, work independently on your goals and getting hands-on experience in a real quantum startup.
- Experience in integrating components into cryostats
- Experience using RF electronics and temperature management
- Ideally experience with CAD design and in a mechanical workshop
- Basic knowledge of Python & MATLAB is beneficial
- A PhD or related amount of experience. M.Sc. graduates may apply with exceptional experience
- An independent and agile mind with a lot of self-initiative
- An excellent worker eager to learn new things
- Highly motivated and committed
- Fluent in English, German is a plus
Previous experience is beneficial but secondary to your personal motivation and commitment to this fascinating project!
At MQI, we are an international, open-minded and highly motivated team of 5 Co-founders and several full-time and part-time employees. We are a spin-off from the Chairs of Prof. Jon Finley and Prof. Kai Müller at the Walter Schottky Institut and are based in Garching. MQI received an EXIST-FT grant, is part of the ESA-BIC, CDL Quantum and was granted multiple ESA-Tender together with a Polish collaboration partner building space-proofed electronics. We value a well-crafted motivation letter stating how you learned about MQI, why you would be a great addition to the team and why you want to work at a Quantum startup. Please include meaningful references of your prior work (e.g. thesis, papers, code snippets, …) and other information relevant for the job.