Quantum computing is the next big thing in computer science. While physicists and engineers are constructing quantum computers, the corresponding big challenge is quantum computing software.
LMU, Munich’s elite university, has founded QAR-Lab as a scientific spearhead in this field. We are driving breakthrough projects to create efficient algorithms and software platforms that will enable quantum computers to deliver to their promises. Our approach is hands-on: We have access to several existing QC platforms such as IBM’s System One, Fujitsu’s DAU, D-Wave Systems’ Advantage. We want to make QC reality!
We are looking for applicants who are equally passionate about quantum computing and want to contribute to the future of computer science.
For the ramp-up of the lab, we have several open full-time positions for creative researchers who are passionate to bring this field forward.
- Occupation date: earliest possible
- Application period: as of now
- Weekly hours: Full-time
Your tasks include:
- Research in the field of quantum computing
- Collaborative research projects
- Finding and improving algorithms for QC, particularly applications for optimization and artificial intelligence, in collaboration with users from various domains, including energy, chemistry and automation
- Evaluation of existing QC and QAI algorithms
- Defining and developing software platforms for NISQ computers, jointly with industry
- Assisting teaching and overseeing bachelor and master students
What you can expect from us:
- Responsible activity in an international research environment
- Opportunity to do a doctorate at a renowned university
- Workplace in central, attractive location near the English Garden in Munich
- Flexible weekly working hours
- Pay grouping in TV-L in grade E13
- Capital-forming payments
- Support offers through the LMU family service
- Rebates for fitness and sports offers
- First rate master’s degree in computer science or a related discipline
- Curiosity, creativity and enthusiasm for research and new technologies
- Profound knowledge and experience in programming, Python as a plus
- Experience in quantum computing advantageous (e.g. with IBM Qiskit, D-Wave Ocean and possibly Xanadu Pennylane)
- Expertise in optimization and machine learning advantageous
- Well-structured way of working, project experience as a plus
- Ability to work in a highly motivated team
- Communication skills, working knowledge of English and German is a must
The positions are temporary according to the project duration, with possibilities for extension. The place of work is in Munich. Part-time employment is generally possible.
Severely disabled applicants will be given preference if their suitability is otherwise essentially equal. Applications from women are welcome.
We will be happy to answer any questions you may have!
Do you want to become part of our team? We look forward to receiving your detailed application including cover letter, resume and references. Please send it preferably in one document (max. 5 MB) by e-mail to: jobs-qc(at)mobile.ifi.lmu.de or use our contact form: https://qarlab.de/en/jobs/apply/
Tel. Lehrstuhlsekretariat: +49 89 / 2180 9153
For more information, please visit the QAR-Lab website.