The Munich Quantum Valley (MQV) is an initiative for the promotion of quantum sciences and quantum technologies in Bavaria and is supported by the Bavarian State Government. MQV acts as a hub between research, industry, funders, and the public, and aims, among other things, to develop and operate competitive quantum computers in Bavaria.
You can find our current MQV job postings as well as shared job postings of our members and partners on this page.
We look forward to receiving your application!
Munich Quantum Valley Office
Scientific Manager (m/f/d)
We are looking for a
Scientific Manager (m/f/d)
Your tasks will include:
- Supporting consortia working in the fields of quantum computing platforms (e.g. super conducting qubits, neutral atom, and ion traps), high performance computing systems and use-cases, and quantum computer algorithms and theory
- Coordinating between the scientific directors and the management of the MQV initiative
- Project monitoring to ensure the achievement of milestones
- Planning and making regular on-site visits of the consortia partners (Bavaria-wide)
- Creating documentation and reporting to various committees (consortia, advisory board, and board of directors)
- Participation in international conferences and workshops to stay up-to-date and in touch with quantum science networks; classifying the work in its international and competitive context, and strategically developing projects based on those findings
- Representing the MQV in committees and at events
- Assisting in writing scientific articles for annual reports, newsletters, webpages, and social media posts for the MQV
- Support in the organization of scientific workshops and international conferences
- Successfully completed doctorate in quantum sciences
- Relevant professional experience and connections in the quantum science community
- Experience in the management and control of research projects
- Outstanding communication skills
- Willingness to go on business trips at home and abroad
- Outstanding knowledge of German and English, written and spoken (level C1)
- Organizational skills, high self-motivation, and the ability to work both in a team and independently
- Knowledge of project management software and project management certification are preferred
What we offer:
- A responsible and multifaceted field of activities in science management with very close contact to current research
- Salary according to qualification and professional suitability up to max. EG 14. Social benefits according to the regulations of public service (federal service)
- Flexibility: Individual working hours within the framework of a flextime system, part-time possible
- Supplementary old-age pension through the Federal and State Pension Institution
- An interdisciplinary working environment with good opportunities for further training and development
The Max Planck Society is committed to promoting gender equality and diversity. Applications from women are encouraged. Applicants with severe disabilities will be given preference for employment, if their qualifications are essentially the same.
The position is to be filled as soon as possible and will remain open until filled. Applications received by March 25th 2022 will be given preference. The position is initially limited until 30.09.2026
If you would like to apply, please submit your relevant documents via our online form
Download job offer
Master Thesis in Quantum Machine Learning at the Fraunhofer Institute for Cognitive Systems IKS
The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft ( www.fraunhofer.com ) currently operates 76 institutes and research institutions throughout Germany and is the world’s leading applied research organization. Around 30,000 employees work with an annual research budget of 2.9 billion euros.
The Fraunhofer Institute for Cognitive Systems IKS conducts applied research into the topics of tomorrow: artificial intelligence, cognitive systems and intelligent software architectures for autonomous systems. Our primary focus is safety-critical applications in the areas of Industry 4.0 and automotive, as well as mobile machines and commercial vehicles. We thus develop dependable software technologies for people. For instance, we examine how artificial intelligence can be validated so that it can be utilizied even in autonomous vehicles, human-robot interaction and medical instruments. That means we're are paving the way for a dependable digital world.
What you will do
Quantum computing is predicted as disruptive, emerging technology with potential big impact in many industrial areas. At Fraunhofer IKS we work on a series of different projects related to enabling robust and reliable applications of quantum computing ( link ). Within the area of quantum machine learning, we e.g. research how we could improve classical medical imaging procedures by quantum-assisted methods (e.g. via quantum convolutional neural networks). These QC-assisted algorithms may enable to also use artificial intelligence in situations with little data available like in the medical sector ( see paper ). We offer interested students to participate in this cutting-edge research via a master thesis.
What you bring to the table
• Experience in programming, in particular Python
• Familiarity with Linux operating systems
• Experience in machine learning algorithms
• First experience with quantum computing algorithms
• Especially suitable for students with the field of study in computer science or physics
What you can expect
• Very nice supervisors, a good atmosphere and technical equipment (e.g. to work remote)
• Participation in a dynamic team with innovative task areas
• Practical approach to your studies
We value and promote the diversity of our employees' skills and therefore welcome all applications - regardless of age, gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion, ideology, disability, sexual orientation and identity. Remuneration according to the general works agreement for employing assistant staff.
With its focus on developing key technologies that are vital for the future and enabling the commercial utilization of this work by business and industry, Fraunhofer plays a central role in the innovation process. As a pioneer and catalyst for groundbreaking developments and scientific excellence, Fraunhofer helps shape society now and in the future.
Interested? Apply online now .
Additional questions will be answered gladly by
PD Dr. habil. Jeanette Miriam Lorenz, tel.: +49 89 547088-334